11.03.2007

US Olympic Qualifying a blast!

I woke Mrs. T up at 5:30 and we hopped a bus to Manhattan at 6 a.m. By 7:30 we were in Central Park watching the U.S. Mens Marathon Olympic Qualifying Race. First sighting of the pack was just after two miles. From there we migrated south to the 6 mile mark to see them shortly after Ryan Shay collapsed.

After they moved through there we somehow got on the wrong side of the race course and found ourselves at the finish line in front of a jumbotron with all the VIPs in a restricted area. Now let me tell you that I have an uncanny knack for doing this on purpose. This time it was entirely by accident. Needless to say we stayed there for the next 1:45 to watch the race on the big screen and see them come by four times.


After Ryan Hall finished with a record time win we somehow got within five feet of him as he left his post-race on course interview right there at Tavern on the Green. It was way way way way cool!

From there we visited a friend, went to the Museum of Natural History to see butterflies and then went down to Greenwich Village to have lunch with Runner Susan, M., Amy and L. at Otto Pizzeria. We had big fun and planned our race for the morning.

Back now in Jersey I am exhausted from all that standing and walking. It'll cost me tomorrow, I am sure, but today was a blast.

12 comments:

Maddy said...

It sounds like it was amazing day (with the exception of Ryan Shay).

you have some great pictures and great memories.

Have a great race tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Great pic. I can't wait to read your race report.

21stCenturyMom said...

Your experience does sound great but you do realize that Ryan Shay died, right? Not such a blast.

Good luck tomorrow!

Runner Susan said...

It's really not as much wine as it looks. Really. Today was a fun day.

jeanne said...

great day david! and you so ripped off our MCM dinner photo. WHY AM I NOT IN THAT PHOTO???!!!

Have a terrific run tomorrow! i'll be watching ... in church!

Rich said...

I want to see you in those fancy silk ballroom gloves tomorrow!

Darrell said...

What a great experience. I hope all the excitement doesn't effect your run tomorrow too much.

peter said...

Good luck and run well.

Rhea said...

Tragic news about Ryan Shay, and I'm glad you got to see him running. Best of luck in the race - you're running right now! - you'll do great.

jeanne said...

david!!! CONGRATULATIONS! YOU DID IT, YOU'RE A WINNER!
:)

Mia Goddess said...

I had SO. MUCH. FUN. stalking..er..*tacking* your run! I will wait for the full race report, but I don't think it will spoil the fun to say right now that you are awesome!

susie said...

What fun...I loved reading your times:) Congrats David. I can't wait to read the race report, too.