1.11.2006

Observations From Taperville

When I was building up mileage with long runs over the course of several weekends, in the 15-20 mile range, I was affected by a number of injuries that gave me great concern. There was a high inside left ankle pain that I suspected was a precursor to shin splints. There were the spiking pains in the calves. The knees were sore once or twice. My lower back ached regularly. I was stiff getting up in the morning. I had a sharp pain on my sole near my toes on the right side. All the niggling problems haven't necessarily gone away but in my last long runs they didn't matter. I had endured them. They had not stopped me. They didn't get worse. I ran through them or they disappeared. Running high mileage takes its toll but it builds tolerance and endurance for the long haul ahead. I feel like I won the training race.

Therefore, I am skipping my measley three mile run tonight. Tomorrow I'll do 8 or 9.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree! It sounds like you have won the battle against injury that many of us loose during training. I look forward to reading about your battle with the marathon.

Rae said...

I know exactly what you mean! My legs are heavy and there are two spots on my feet that hurt, but it doesn't seem like a big deal at all anymore. That's just how I feel now! No biggie! Just a couple more weeks!!!!

Iron Jayhawk said...

I hear ya! Pain is just pain. And only that. It's not gunna kill ya.

You definitely deserve to bypass the 3-miler. Keep up the great work and enjoy your time tapering.

Jack said...

Tapering is just that, backing off and giving your body a break right before the big day!

Anonymous said...

what's wrong with me, david? don't you love me anymore? am i not "good enough" for you? c'mon! there was a time when you couldn't get enough of me and now i'm yesterday's news.

come back to me, david...i'm easy. trust me!

David said...

okay. okay. i'll run with you again three miler. how about sunday? but i get to drive.

21st Century Mom said...

Congratulations on winning the battle of the body dings. I have horrible feet - they always hurt. If I let my feet do the talking I would just buy a wheelchair. As it is I start marathon training in March. Feel throb - feel the thrill.

Jank said...

Yeah, taper! Three miler can go sulk, for all I care...