1.11.2006

Observations From Taperville

When I was building up mileage with long runs over the course of several weekends, in the 15-20 mile range, I was affected by a number of injuries that gave me great concern. There was a high inside left ankle pain that I suspected was a precursor to shin splints. There were the spiking pains in the calves. The knees were sore once or twice. My lower back ached regularly. I was stiff getting up in the morning. I had a sharp pain on my sole near my toes on the right side. All the niggling problems haven't necessarily gone away but in my last long runs they didn't matter. I had endured them. They had not stopped me. They didn't get worse. I ran through them or they disappeared. Running high mileage takes its toll but it builds tolerance and endurance for the long haul ahead. I feel like I won the training race.

Therefore, I am skipping my measley three mile run tonight. Tomorrow I'll do 8 or 9.

10 comments:

Susan said...

It seems like you've earned skipping a 3 mile run. Enjoy the night off.

BTW, I let Garmina dominate. She's ruthless.

robtherunner said...

I agree! It sounds like you have won the battle against injury that many of us loose during training. I look forward to reading about your battle with the marathon.

Rae said...

I know exactly what you mean! My legs are heavy and there are two spots on my feet that hurt, but it doesn't seem like a big deal at all anymore. That's just how I feel now! No biggie! Just a couple more weeks!!!!

Running Jayhawk said...

I hear ya! Pain is just pain. And only that. It's not gunna kill ya.

You definitely deserve to bypass the 3-miler. Keep up the great work and enjoy your time tapering.

Jack said...

Tapering is just that, backing off and giving your body a break right before the big day!

the three miler said...

what's wrong with me, david? don't you love me anymore? am i not "good enough" for you? c'mon! there was a time when you couldn't get enough of me and now i'm yesterday's news.

come back to me, david...i'm easy. trust me!

susie said...

look what you've done to your three-miler....man, oh man.

David said...

okay. okay. i'll run with you again three miler. how about sunday? but i get to drive.

21st Century Mom said...

Congratulations on winning the battle of the body dings. I have horrible feet - they always hurt. If I let my feet do the talking I would just buy a wheelchair. As it is I start marathon training in March. Feel throb - feel the thrill.

Jank said...

Yeah, taper! Three miler can go sulk, for all I care...