1.14.2006

The Half


The phone rang at 1245 this morning (that's the middle of the night). A 3rd grader who left school Friday to go home never arrived. Helicopters, search dogs and all the deputies were out looking for him all afternoon and night. At 1245 they called me to let me know they found him at a huge mall. How he got there will be an interesting story to hear, come Tuesday.
Four hours later my alarm rang. I had to get up, dress, eat and pack some Gatorade. By 530 I was at Jason's for a run. The wind was whipping at 25 mph and the temps were dropping by the hour. Starting at 55 degrees and dropping isn't too bad for many of you but the air is very wet down here and when the westerly wind blows it goes right through you.
We ran a shorter version of our course from last weekend. It ended up 13.2 miles. We only stopped twice for Gu and/or Gatorade. The stops ate up five minutes. Our net time was 2:06.30 for a 9:36 pace. For a training run with a lot of talking I was plenty happy. I don't like to talk much when running but Jason kept asking questions I had to answer. Maybe that's why I prefer to run alone. On a long run, a partner is tolerable to pass the time.
Thanks to 21st Century Mom I have settled on an expectation that I'll be right at 4 hours for the marathon. She touted the Yasso 800s as an indicator. My 800s are always right under/at 4:00.

6 comments:

21st Century Mom said...

Yay! I'm always happy to impart confidence.

I can hardly wait to hear the story of that little kid. For those of us who are late to your blog - why would you be the guy to get that call? I have no idea but I'm sure there is a good reason.

Rae said...

Yeah!! I did 12 today and it just felt like something was missing (like about 8 more miles!!) It was nice though!!

We had similar weather except it was 29 and lightly snowing with artic wind blasts, ugh!!! I am so ready for some warmth in Miami. BUT, if the globe suddenly shifts I am ready to run 26 in the cold!

Joe said...

David, my best to the kid and his family and the rest of you school administrators. That must be very scary.

I do think your run must have taken 2:06, not 1:06, for the 13.2 at 9:34. 1:06 would be a decidely quick training half :-)

David said...

Joe's right. It took another hour to cover the half. Doh!

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Good grief. We almost lost a 7-year-old kid here that was dropped off at the wrong house when school was closed early, and tried to cross I-94 to get home. A woman finally stopped and spent half an hour convincing him it was ok to get in the car with a stranger. He had good training but how do you help him? I guess she should have called the cops to come out there instead.

Glad the one out there is ok too.

Jank said...

Dude - you sound completely ready...

And the kid - We let Jake play in the yard with the neighbors' kids, but every so often, it's funny - all of the folks kind of get the urge to check on their progeny at about the same time, so we all shuffle out into the yard, looking a bit frantic until we see the kids. Then the kids notice us, ask us what we're doing there, and continue being young...