10.22.2006

Record Heat. No Record Run.

I went downtown for my Sunday morning run to find the streets blocked off. Today is the exotic car show. 250 very expensive and quite a few old one-of-a-kind cars have taken over the avenue. I parked right in front of Starbucks and jogged up to where we usually start and found five others waiting to run.

We moved out as the cars were arriving to be parked, polished and judged. When we came back, they were all in position and sparkling.

In the middling time we went out at a slow pace. I set my timer to repeat every 9:45 in hopes of being at mile markers each time it went off. We did fairly well at that. I will do it again next Sunday in DC at the race to keep on pace.

We are having record heat down here. In the 90s again today and just maybe 72 this morning. I sweated like it was August.

Going slow (9:45-10:00) and only ten miles allowed me to get a sense of the pace I want to try and it left me with legs towards the end of the run. I left the pack with about two miles to go and jacked it up to finish just under 10 minutes per mile. Somehow I lost the 9:45 pace but I do not remember when.

Four on Tuesday and four on Thursday is all I have left. Then north to the chilly and wet forecasted DC area to see Bex, Jeanne, Michelle and Susie, among others.

6 comments:

Rae said...

90s!!! WOW! It's 50s here today and I am FREEZING!! Just a few more days.....

Michelle said...

one more week!!!!! i can't wait!

Rhea said...

Looking forward to seeing you at Friday dinner! Lots to catch up on. It was a beautiful day here, by the way. Sunny and in the 50's.

Lara said...

90's - yikes! You probably won't have to worry about that when you come upcountry.

jeanne said...

unlike today when it is freezing and WINDY! pack everything you own. god only knows what we'll get!

Joe said...

One week to go...awesome, David!! Get that Army PT gear ready!!!