2.20.2007

Ooch. Ouch. Ummm. Okay.

My sister blew into town last night to speak to a major defense contractor today. So we put her up and she took us out to dinner. Local college boy joined us and coyly explained a few of the secrets of college life. He managed to avoid speaking loud enough in my direction because he fears what I will do with any such knowledge. Little does he know that I know he had some trouble finding his way back to his dorm room recently and ended up lodging in a sorority house. Needless to say, I am waiting for just the right moment to cross examine him on the subject. Mercifully, I will do so when his mother is not around and more likely when his peers are. As Mrs. T says: I am a rascal.

Last night Mrs T took her "teddy bear" to bed to optimize the get-to-sleep experience. That involved putting the adorably cute male terrier under the covers next to her pillow within hugging distance. Knowing how he snarls when I try to evict him from bed I let him be when I went to bed. He had left me enough room that it was not a big issue.

On the other hand, when I rolled over their way about 2:45 I had way too much dog smell to contend with and I became agitated and very awake. After an hour of that I scooped his cute little butt up and put him in the chair where he belongs. It took another 30+ minutes for me to figure out how to go back to sleep.

When 6 a.m. came around I was supposed to get up and go run 12x400 in our version of icy cold (mid 40s with a wet wind making it feel much colder). Despite the urge to roll over I was not going to look bad to my sister.

I was creaky and stiff, just like I was after the 22 miles on Sunday. It took a mile warm up and two quarter laps to loosen up enough to be in the zone. No speed records seem to come after a looooong run. Ever notice that?
1:55-1:50-1:46-1:48-1:44-1:48-1:45-1:45-1:46-1:45-1:47-1:42. At least I finished fast.

8 comments:

Darrell said...

I compliment you for hanging tough with 12 of those things. Slacker? I think not.

Jank said...

hey, I've been staying firmly planted in bed too often...

Man, I miss sorority girls...

Rich said...

You know, all dogs go to heaven (before you). Better be nice to the four-legged family member :-)

Runner Susan said...

Lovely post David.

Neese said...

12 is impressive! nice splits!
sometimes if i go to bed first and the beagle manages to sneak up with me he likes to snarl when asked to leave, also. SWEET doggies don't you love how cute they are?

susie said...

Little does College Boy know what same father did when he was in college. My lips are sealed....

Joe said...

Evict the dog...good for you!

Glad you enjoyed the time with susie!!!

David said...

Joe ... you're going to get somebody in trouble if you keep commenting like that.