5.03.2006

I could not play for the Red Sox today...

... because I would flunk the drug test. The doctor was not in when I went in for my physical work up. They did the EKG, blood work, X-ray, specimen, H & W, etc. but the doc was not in. I demanded some attention and was told I'd get a call from the practicioner nurse later that morning. After lunch I was back in there and the P.N. listened to me tell my story, asked a few questions and listened to my chest. She was nice, the same nice nurse with the small fingers who checked my prostate last year.
Anyway she said I had no infection but probably a case of bronchitis with lung inflammation; and wrote me a scrip for a steroid regimen that will run six days. Can I share with you the possible side effects? I will spare you. But I did notice something about high sodium, strength loss, bad interaction with carbohydrates, low potassium and other running sensitive stuff. So I'll overeat for six days eating bananas.
I will try to run 13.1 miles on Sunday morning to keep Susie company. I might keel over but I'll be coaching her along.

Photo: die hard Red Sox fan on Tuesday telling Johnny Damon what for, for signing with Yankees.

8 comments:

21st Century Mom said...

Oh my word. I was so impressed that they do routine EKGs but now I find that you cannot see a doctor even when you tell them you have been sick for weeks. Medicine has become so pathetic. I'd go make some more noise because steriods from from a not-quite-a-doctor who uses the word 'probably' and prescribes them anyhow? ugh. Please keep taking it easy for a while.

susie said...

David, as much as I would love the company....I will worry if you run on Sunday. Really. Two of us don't need to be falling over, out of breath, and collapsing at the end. Oh, that's right, you are already *doing* that. See? Not a good thing. Re-think that and cheer from the comfort of your chair by the pool, ok?

Susan said...

David, David, David. Seriously, listen to Susie.

Mia Goddess said...

Oh dear. There must be a compromise... maybe Susie could pull you in a wagon during her run?

Take care. Kind of worried. Trying not to.

jeanne said...

Listen to both susans! I want a REAL doctor, who prescribes meds when he has a REAL diagnosis. We do not accept this probable diagnosis!!!

jeanne said...

p.s. that is one scary photo.

beverly said...

Listen to all of these smart folks. I have to agree with Jeanne ... I think the medical system is a lot different than Canada. You might want to travel up here and I'll get you an appointment. :)

David said...

Okay, Okay, OKAY!
The word "probably" was my word; not hers. She used her hands to signal quotation marks when she said the word bronchitis. I believe her. It seems like bronchitis and the steroids are working fairly well. No more tightness.
And I will not run 13.1 on Sunday .... unless I can't help myself :)