8.29.2006

There's no accounting

How would you explain it? I got up early and went to the track to do 3x1600 repeats. Not too difficult, huh? Last time I managed to rack 'em at 7:58, 7:49 and 7:49. Today, feeling okay, I started fine but then died: 7:50, 7:57 & 8:12. Do you think it had anything to do with running 17 miles two days ago? Or am I just not the runner I was a year ago?

If I make it out of Florida Thursday morning after Ernesto plows through Orlando with his 50-60 mph winds I plan to run 10 miles on Friday and then the New Haven 20K on Monday. Do you think I should throttle back a few miles to give me a chance to score nicely on the race? Or should I stick to plan and work to win the Marine Corps Marathon (in my personal age group/born on my birthday)?

It's been a moviefest at our house lately. We watched the Big Labowski or something similarly stupid-named movie on a Netflix DVD on Friday night. Sunday we went to see World Trade Center and followed that by slipping into another theatre and laughing through The Devil Wears Prada. Last night we went to the artsy theatre, ate a dinner and saw Little Miss Sunshine which was hilarious. My favorite? The Devil Wears Prada.

Oh. The forecast says rain and high wind in Rhode Island on Saturday. Ernesto must be following me.

6 comments:

21st Century Mom said...

If you want to PR in New Haven then throttle down a bit. If you are more focused on the marathon then stick with the plan. Or - just do what you feel like in the moment. In terms of your marathon I think the trade off between running 5 now and tearing it up in New Haven or running 10 now and not hitting a PR in New Haven is pretty academic. Either way you are putting in miles and doing some speed work and it's all good.

Fingers crossed that Ernesto comes on like nothing worse than a rain storm.

ps - running 17 miles will definitely cause your legs some fatigue. I think you are fine :-)

Rhea said...

Running 17 miles would take a little wind out of anyone's sails. You're a better runner than a year ago. Re Little Miss Sunshine: I looove that movie.I really identify with the Alan Arkin character :-)

Iron Jayhawk said...

mmm...yah...running that distance is enough to deflate ya for the next few runs.

good call with the devil wears prada. great flick!

Jank said...

I'm shooting for 2 hours, so the pressure is completely off...

THough I should probably let you school me after our first run in July.

OH, and George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars are playing at the Mohegan Sun tomorrow night...

SRR said...

Ewwww....those are all great flicks! Devil is my fav. though!

April Anne said...

Great job today David! It was nice to see you again. Safe travels home.