6.19.2005

TV Finally Inspires Me

So yesterday the TV is on. I don't know who left it on Fox Sports but there for the viewing was the San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon one hour show. It is rare to see a running event on TV so I watched for awhile - actually until it was over - and was so inspired that I made immediate plans to run forever this morning. I picked up some Gu at Track Shack, ate well, drank little and went to bed early. At 600 I had breakfast and by 700 I was downtown looking for the long runners.
I followed some fasties who eventually pulled away yet still within visual distance. Only one guy passed me so I was somewhere in between two running group speeds and running solo. No matter.
At the four mile Gatorade stop I had a splash and pushed on. It was about 75 degrees, sunny and humid. It was a beautiful day and all the nice homes along the shady streets had manicured green lawns and vivid colors. I tore open my Gu at 55 minutes, dissolved a few grams in my mouth and felt the strength come back into my legs after a few minutes. At the 8 mile mark I started to veer over to a park where there are water fountains and a runner came up behind me (K.) who said if I followed her another 100 yards I could stop for some Gatorade she had stowed behind a wall. Sure enough, there was a cooler sitting there and in a few minutes there were seven of us taking a break to refresh, chat about wayward football quarterbacks in Tallahassee and run on.
I took the long route back downtown to add another mile or so to the run and came in just all happy with myself. Mission accomplished.
At home I took a swim in the pool, laid out in the sun with the dogs and listened to the birds still singing at nine in the morning.

2 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

A good run, David. Somehow the idea of stashing drinks is fun but scary too. I'd hate for devious people to mess with it.

Jank said...

Sounds like a great run - especially with catering!