6.14.2005

Righty or Lefty?

I ran this morning and realized I was doing it again. When I run, I default to using my right leg to do most of the work. My left just sort of goes along for the ride; not dramatically but enough that I can sense a difference. When I realize I am favoring again I make a little more effort to try and "lead" with my left leg stride. It's amazing to me how it rights the ship and propels me down the road with a bit more balance and speed.
That was the essence of my easy 4-mile run this morning. Form correction. Anybody else notice the same inclinations?

8 comments:

brent said...

lately i have been noticing that my right shin is not as sore as the left one...therefore i'm favoring it a bit and do notice my form is suffering lately.

Anonymous said...

I KNOW I'm favoring the left, as I'm trying to figure out this ankle deal on the right ...

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

Yes, definately. My left leg has alot more trouble holding form well, than my right. But my right foot turns inwards as it comes up behind me.

Rhea said...

Hmm. Now that you mention it, I do think that I tend to rely more on my right leg than my left. Must fix that.

Wobbly man said...

Now that I think about it I think I favour my left since my calf injury - hadn't thought about it much until reading your post

Tracy said...

Yep, I do the same thing, seems that most of the impact goes to my right leg -- weird! Glad to know I'm not alone!

:) said...

Me too...although three surgeries on my left knee might have something to do with it...

ShoreTurtle said...

I’m two months behind the original post, but I just found your blog. I favor my right leg, though I’ve always thought it had to do with me being left-handed. For instance, when I go for a lay-up, I push off with my right foot. I think that that my left leg and knee aren’t as strong which is why it’s usually my left knee that ‘talks to me.’ Also, I usually exhale on my right foot strike. I’ve found that if one leg is tight or one knee is sore that altering the foot strike that I exhale on gives the other side a break. Good luck with the New Haven race!