4.03.2005

I De-Feeted Diabetes Today

Racing. I couldn't resist racing today. The forecast was outstanding with temps in the 50s and lots of sun plus a breeze. The race was so close by I didn't even have to drive. I put on a long sleeve shirt and shorts plus my new Asics Gel Kayanos 11s. I jogged down to the start line as my warm up. I underestimated the time necessary to get there and arrived just as they were singing the national anthem. I was on time but a little winded after the 1.5 mile hurried jog. No matter.
The race started and it was very slow. When I crossed the start mat people were still walking in front of me. I did some jumping sideways through the walkers to find some space and found myself in a quick corner and a narrow street with cars at the curb. The "new" route was poorly planned. They needed a wide and straight road to start us and sort out the runners from jogger/walkers. Grrr.
After a 1/4 mile it loosened up and I hit the jets. My first mile was 8:20 and I was not happy. From all the jumping around through traffic I was afraid I'd burned a little too much fuel and tried to be conservative on the 2nd mile. It was 8:14. That ticked me off even more so I kicked it up to 100% heart rate and zoomed in at a 7:46 3rd mile to finish with a 25:10 time. Respectable but not what I could have done. That I wasn't even trained up for this effort left me feeling good about the result and more determined than ever to PR in my next 5K in two weeks.
The rest of the day was invigorating as I thinned out one of my two big palm tree clusters and managed to not jab myself in the eye with a sharp object. It looks so much better now. It's amazing what can make you happy. (See the Mia Goddess garden).

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's not like you to arrive late; it must have thrown you off slightly. But a fine race anyway:) Love those shoes!

Brendan said...

Some races used to separate the starters by their expected finish time--they would hang banners by the side of the road, and prople would start in front of the banner only if they expected to finish the race in under the time shown on the banner. Sounds like this race could use something similar--maybe a runners/walkers banner to keep the runners from running over the walkers.

Rachel said...

Sounds like a great race! Your times sound pretty respectable-- I have some very slow PR's for my 5K's, but maybe that will improve at the Run for the Trees at the end of April. Glad you're enjoying the weather like I am...

Oldman said...

When I did this years Naples Half the start was like your race, crowded! It takes a mile to sort everyone out. sond like you had a fun day anyway. BTW I have those shoes and love them!

Mia Goddess said...

You are fast. Dang. I had the same start problem at the Shamrock 5k I did, and they even had the little mile /minute flags to help people decide where to go. It's so annoying! And, yay for gardening! I tried to work in the backyard today, and got a *little* done, but really, I think I'm going to hang out in the front yard for a while so I won't have to do so much heavy work! The whole reason to garden is to kick back in a lawn chair with a frosty beer and reap the joys of all that work. :)

Anonymous said...

hey david, sounds like a cool race to have so close by. Know what you mean by having a hard time getting going,, I do not attempt the times you were doing,, but I do like to get going when the canon goes. We are having great weather in Canada too :)
Heather

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

A fine race, David. And I would be really pissed too, to have to dodge through a mess like that, especially if it cost me a PR. But you run the race you're given, right? A small note to the organizers might help them plan better next year.