12.26.2005

Long, Injury Free and on Pace

I waited until 1030 to start my long run this morning which gave me lots of leisurly time to eat breakfast and psych up for the 3.25 hours of sunny running I had planned. I chose to do three laps around Lake Virginia so that I could stop at the house every time for refueling. I really didn't feel like running but I went out anyway knowing it would be a test, coming off the draining runs of last week.
I started out all creaky. Calves were baying, ankle was making some noise and heels were pinging me too. I ignored them all and got up to pace within two miles and felt better.
The first lap was 1:01:00 so I varied the route the next two times around so to add another 15 minutes. I hit the Gu every 45 minutes or shorter, depending on how much I took and had a total of 40 ounces of Gatorade between laps and afterwards. I came in at 3:16:00, right about my target. I didn't hit a wall although I was definitely tired. The pedometer said it was 20.5 miles which worked out to a 9:34 pace, right about what I want in training.
The shin didn't hurt. The calves didn't cramp. I felt good when all was said and done.
I stretched, took a hot shower, ate a Snicker's energy bar, a banana and more Gatorade and water before hopping (well, not hopping; more like staggering) into the car and drove out to have a massage. I thought it worth a test to see how a massage felt after 20 miles. It was excellent except for the severe cramps I developed while laying on the table. Lara just turned my foot a certain way and BAM I was curling up in a nasty twitch. It happened three times before she decided to go at it a little more strategically on my feet. She found a knot that took 10 minutes to work out on each foot and then I was relaxed. I was dehydrated so kept drinking water. She said the tendons in my calf were quivering like a hard rock guitar right after the cramp passed. Most amusing for her.
I hope your holiday week keeps looking good for everybody. 2006 is almost here.

9 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

David that is indeed a sweet 20 miler. Damn nice pace and you sound like you weren't particuarly torn up either. Nice. No pain in the shins at that pace, is a good thing.

brent said...

very good run, very good run!

Joe said...

Nice report, David. A real encouragement after the "toll" you felt from last week.

And I envy your weather!!

Susan said...

Very nice pace. Interesting massage - was it painful so soon after a run?

Rae said...

WAY to go! That's an awesome pace for such a long run. You're totally ready for Miami!! We had a massage about 3-4 hours after our 21 mile run a few weeks ago and it nearly put us to sleep! That day my muscles were still feeling pretty good, it might be more painful now that I'm worn down a bit.

Michelle said...

sounds like a great run! i will be in your neck of the woods in 2 weeks! disney marathon is right around the corner, wish my trainin went as well as your seems to be!

Running Chick said...

excellent run!! that marathon is all yours!

The Running Red Sox Fan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Running Red Sox Fan said...

You're da' man!! Nice run, and the massage sounds fantastic. Nothing like working our all those knots after a 3 hour run.