5.11.2005

Barefoot Rules

I am amazed at how well my legs, especially my calves and knees, survived 7+ miles barefoot running on the variated beach surfaces on Sunday. There is no soreness, tenderness or anything to complain about. If anything, I think my foot steps and gait benefited from the forced natural mechanics of running barefoot. I am now a big fan.
Today I ran 4 miles thinking it would just be an easy run but the legs and lungs just wanted to air it out. So I played the legs like a Churchill Downs jockey would. I just let out the reins and let 'em run. I pushed 82% HR which is a fair tempo rate. My time and splits were competitive so I have to log this as one of the good days.
Next time it will be some speed work at the track. 1600/1200/800/400. There's a race next weekend (the 20th?) and I am aiming for a PR despite the rising humidity and heat index.
See you on the track.

7 comments:

Jon (was) in Michigan said...

So is this race barefoot or shod?

Jank said...

I may need to get me to the beach. Sounds like fun.

Brendan said...

I could go to the beach, but the only beach around here is on Lake Ontario, and is about 300 yards long. Back and forth, back and forth, back and forth...

Tracy said...

I really can't wait to run on the beach - you've started something.

And your speed workouts sound punishing! Kudos to you! Good luck on your race, btw! Can't wait to hear all about it =)

David said...

The race is in the heart of the world's largest tourist destination area (Orlando) so there's plenty of red hot pavement. I have not calloused up enough to go barefoot on that.

Mark said...

Way cool!!!

Mark said...

David,

I got your comment/question the other day. It's all good. I'll post a response shortly. THANKS!