7.03.2007

Turned a corner

Maybe it's because days are getting shorter now. We're heading towards the winter equinox. I can almost feel the chill in the air.

Training went well today. I went up to the track with Trevor at 5:30 a.m. There were no less than 50 people finishing their workouts. By the time we warmed up, the track was ours. Trevor did 8x400 and 1x800 with me at the end. He did pretty well for somebody who hasn't been training: 1:10 per lap; this from a guy who regularly dropped 2:03 800s in high school competition six years ago.

I did 5x800. No check that. I did 2x800 and 3x800 PERSONAL RECORD BREAKING repeats. Three of my five laps beat my previous best time of 3:37.9. The best lap and new PR is 3:36.

Coaching tip. After we finished Trevor gave me some coach talk. He observed my stride was short and my feet too tense. He told me to loosen up. Just like we should not run with tense shoulders and arms, he said to relax my ankles and throw them out there on each step. It'll save energy, lengthen my stride forward and promote more momentum moving forward. I tried it on the jog home and I found myself just motoring along. It was cool. I can't wait to try it in tomorrow's race.

4 comments:

Rhea said...

I gotta try that ankle thang. Will let you know how it goes. And good luck tomorrow in the 5K!

Michelle said...

Can't wait to see your race report. I find my body tense all over when I am doing track workouts.

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

I'm enjoying reading your blog. Nice speedwork session! You'll love NYC Marathon. I worked for ING for many years and they pour so much into supporting the NYC marathon. Keep up the good running and posting!

Rich said...

Ooh, I'm going to have to try that. Getting tired of getting tired with my "normal" stride.