6.13.2007

PR. Then in.

I invoked good karma/mojo/luck last week by returning to my normal training routine. This on the heels of spotty efforts, no plan and a desire to slack for two months. Why? To win the lottery.

This morning I ran 4x800s and set a new record time of 3:37.07. Later in the day I received the official notification.

I won a place in the NYC Marathon for November 4 on my first try ... and so did Runner Susan. Yea! We will finally meet up, barring the unforeseen like a tornado taking out her and her new house in Texas or a hurricane washing me to the shores of the Canary Islands.

Now I will ramp up to the start of purposeful training for 18 weeks around the Fourth, right after the Watermelon 5K here in Humidity Like Lardtown.

13 comments:

Runner Susan said...

Lardtown? That sounds like a place I should be living.

Jank said...

Hey, enjoy preparing for NYC! The race is exceptional.

21stCenturyMom said...

Congrats! It seems like you have never stopped training since your last marathon so if the good Lord's willing and the creek don't rise and all that. Enjoy!

ShoreTurtle said...

Cool! I'll be there to cheer you on.

Darrell said...

Very cool to get into NYC, the marathon that is, I think they actually let anybody in to NYC.

It, the marathon, is an experience you won't soon forget.

Maddy said...

I'm so excited for you!

NYC and the Watermelon 5k! You're a wildman!

Maybe I will see you at the 5k - I hope the Tshirts are better this year than they were last year...

Donald said...

Awesome - NYC! Train well and have fun with the race.

Running Chick said...

Two things come to mind: Congrats! and Argh!

I was on the fence about NYC, and should have put my name in the lottery...but was thinking I would be in Florida (ironic, no?) cheering on a certain someone who was going to do the Ironman there. But alas, his plans changed...and now I'm free that weekend with no marathon to run. BUT! That still might mean a trip in to the City. We shall see!

Rae said...

Congrats!!! NYC will be a wonderful experience!!!

Joe said...

How cool to get in!! A terrific target now to set your sights for all the training.

Nice 800s, too!!

Lara said...

Congratulations on your luck. If you can make it there....well, you know.

jeanne said...

holy cow how have i missed all this excitment!!! i blame bloglines. OF COURSE I will be coming to cheer you guys on ... wouldn't miss it for the WORLD!

Rich said...

Good for you! Congrats on getting in. Best of luck. And yes, I'm jealous.